Saturday, July 31, 2010

I was Half Expecting a Bunch of Complaints

This from a colleague:

It's been such a long time since I've written a newsletter I was half expecting a bunch of complaints (who are you, and why are you sending me emails?!?). I haven't had anyone burn my house down, though, so I count that as a win.

This in reply from me:

I have been saying for 12 months now that I'll put out a monthly eLetter for CEO/CFO/COO/CIO only of the large ("deep pocket") corporations I target.

  • Once a month.
  • One item
  • No ads
  • NOT about computing

I have a stack of ideas, a stack of articles, I have several formats I'm quite prepared to admire/steal.

I have the (programming) mechanism to distribute it.

What's holding me back?

Probably fear of rejection.

I suspect (but can't prove) that the general feeling that we are "spamming" recipients arises because there is such an easy negative reaction to spam.

In the Real World(TM) I don't let annoying telemarketers dull my pleasure when a genuine friend or contact phones me; I move away from the computer to the green chair and enjoy a yak.

I see a monthly newsletter from anyone I do business with as a valid means of staying in touch with a valid contact.

You are not anonymous. We've done business, we've chatted. If you were in Toronto you'd have the spare room for as long as you needed it. Internet access, home cooking, two cats ...

The various entrepreneurs I've met in Toronto are not anonymous; we've said Hi! at 3 meetings, had a coffee, supper maybe. A monthly letter from them isn't an unwarranted intrusion. I might not take the time to read it right now, but it is not unwarranted.

I have blacklisted a few people who claim they spoke with me at a meeting 12 months ago, regret not establishing contact sooner, and hope I won't mind receiving a monthly letter from them. Blacklisted because (I'm not sorry), No; we've not done a single face-to-face meeting to learn about each other.

I hope this makes sense.

I'd rather you did a short eLetter each month; if nothing else it'd help jog my brain that I should spend more time selling software.

P.S. I find it OK that your letter comes in plain text, but then I'm interested in ideas, not fancy dress.

Talk to Me !

No comments: