Saturday, July 24, 2010

Do They Love What They Do?

I love part of what I do.

That part is “telling computers what to do” – it is more than “programming” and certainly more than “programming in VBA”, it is a passion for getting the very best out of a computer.

(I once devised a means of using 81 columns of an 80-column punched-card!)

My passion started 6 months before the end of my schooling, 6 months before my first job.

My passion has outlasted two marriages, five countries, three nationalities and an uncountable number of setbacks, cancelled projects and failed business relationships.

I sometime get exhausted, or plain bored with a project that drags on.

But come the next one, and I’m awake at all hours devising clever algorithms …

I look around me at the very small group of people I’d love to work with.

Each one of them is truly passionate about what they do to bring in the money.

Passionate enough to laugh at themselves while they are doing it.

The business is one gigantic barrel of colored balls and we are wallowing around in them, making money while nagging in a giant game of whoop-de-doo!

Robert Townsend said it best:

“If you don’t do it excellently, don’t do it at all. Because if it’s not excellent, it won’t be profit or fun, and if you’re not in business for fun or profit, what the hell are you doing here?”

Talk to Me !

No comments: