Tuesday, November 3, 2009

So I Madly Got Changed And Dashed Off to Toronto for the Second Time Today

From a colleague:

"After running around all day, I got home a little after 5:00 PM. I made dinner, spent some time with my daughter then went downstairs to my humble office area to answer a few emails. About 10 mins. into it, I realized I had an event I was supposed to be at in Toronto. So I madly got changed and dashed off to Toronto for the second time today. I only got home about 20 mins. ago. Needless to say you did not receive a phone call."

From me back to my colleague:

About You: You worry me, but then I don't know you that well.

{If **I** had your opportunities}

Unless it was for a $1,000 paying client, I'd say "Sod the evening downtown" and spend time with my daughter.

Too much running around is not good for us Transitional Entrepreneurs.

But then, what do I know?

{/If **I** had your opportunities}

Here's the thing with my phone, just so as you know:

I'm the only one here.

I don't have call identification, call waiting, call screening, call showering or call-tub-wiping.

BELL voice-mail is all I've got and I'm getting rid of it at the end of this month.

If the phone rings, I pick it up; it might be business; or a friend asking me out to lunch.

I often wake at 3 am and go back to sleep. In which case I turn my phone up at or around 8 am

I as often wake at 3 am and am wide awake and DON'T got back to sleep.

In which case I turn my phone up at whatever time it is.

I aim to be in bed by 9:30 pm, at which time I turn my phone off.

If I'm going out for the day, I turn my phone off so as not to disturb Jupiter .

I don't have family, and all my friends have their own family, so I never get "family emergencies"

My clients don't have emergencies; it's my job to make sure that they don't!

These days I am on the phones from 8:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. I have changed around completely from the man I used to be last March.

But if someone (hint!) calls and leaves a short message saying "call me right back", I do so as soon as I've finished the call; my caller has usually worked out that I'm hitting the phones, but knows that a quick let's-do-lunch call is ALWAYS welcome.

And if someone is dropping by to pick me up for lunch, I turn on my cell phone as the "alternate channel" until we are together.

Then I turn off the cell-phone.

(see "emergencies" above)

Now if all that sounds draconian, I would like you to consider that it works FOR ME, especially in my no-family no-emergency situation.

But I also want you to know that you CAN call me 24/7, and if I've gone to bed, it won't disturb me at all, at all, and I'll get your call as soon as I wake up and pick up my phone to turn it ON!

I hope that makes sense.

No comments: