Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Every Cloud Brings Life-Giving Rain

In “Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining” I outlined what I considered to be a disastrous meeting with bureaucracy. Honestly, I walked out of there fuming, determined to shake the dust from my feet, and headed straight to a rewarding meeting with a fellow entrepreneur.

In the late afternoon I received an email from bureaucracy telling me I am penciled in to deliver a talk in January.

Calm now, I realize that yesterday morning I had achieved my penultimate objective – a sit-down FTF meeting with the organizers, and I did well, because by the end of the day I had achieved my goal – an opportunity to present myself for evaluation as a speaker to transitional entrepreneurs.

Despite the roadblocks of attitude thrown in my path, I have succeeded.

I was away most of the day in meetings, and missed two phone calls I had been working for over two weeks.

My disappointment at not being here to take the calls is mollified by the fact that BOTH parties did try to get in touch with me.

The first party wants to talk with me – so I feel sure that we will make contact.

The second party has misinterpreted my voice-mail; or perhaps it was a poorly-worded voice-mail.

Today I will re-read my voice-mail script, re-listen to the voice-mail left for me, and work out what went wrong.

By a calm deliberate study of facts, I can probably salvage a FTF meeting from the second party.

But let’s not lose sight of the fact that BOTH parties called me back. That’s a Good Thing, and is a far better result than not having my called returned.

My voice-mail scripts are getting the action I want; all I have to do is tweak them a little.

(Sorry: “a little bit more, again”)

No comments: