Friday, November 13, 2009

Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining

A Disastrous Start to the Day

I met with an organization for whom I hoped to make several presentations – to get my name known.

I arrived on time, they weren’t ready; they started 15 minutes late with no apologies and didn’t offer me a coffee. Worse – they had not prepared by reading the material I had sent at their request.

I have spent two hours phoning, four ½ days attending current presentations (to get a good idea of their target market), a ½ day attending their downtown workshop – for what?

I couldn’t wait to get out of there and head to my next meeting, but I grabbed a copy of “Enterprise” on the way out. The Vol 11. No.4 September 2009 issue, as it happens.

In there I found SIX articles of compelling interest to ME, and I am who/what counts in this story.

I have written off the first meeting a signaling a dead-end down that avenue, but the magazine was worth the trip.

And yes, my second meeting was with a private-enterprise entrepreneur, and it was the best time of the past month, for me.

On the way home I reflected that if I can’t pull something good out of a bad situation, how can I claim to be truly valuable to any prospect?

No comments: