Thursday, May 5, 2011

When the Booked Conference Call Fails to Materialize




The conference call has been arranged for a week now, and I’m looking forward to it.

I have a great deal of respect for the gentleman, and I want to pitch an idea, not necessarily a sale to him (although I’d be delighted if he’d pick up on it!) as much as to get some feedback along the lines of “yes, this could work” or “no, this really stinks”.

I have exchanged emails with his Administrative Assistant, corrected my faulty impression of his phone number, cleared my desk, spent 5 minutes in deep breathing, got a fresh sheet of paper, a sharp pencil …

… and at 1:00 p.m. I pick up the phone and dial.

Voice-mail

I leave a short message, “it’s one o’clock and you’re probably running a bit late, please give me a call at 416-621-9348”.

Silence

A couple of times the phone rings and I grab it, staring at the Call Display; both times close friends, and they understand when I clear the line quickly.

At 2:15 p.m. I think “What have I got to lose?”, and dial again.

I get straight through and ask for 5 minutes and am told he has 15.

I pitch the idea, he is enthusiastic “Please send me something by email”, and I feel that I am having trouble dis-engaging.

What do I learn?

Something I seem to have learned every day of my life:

  • We are human; mistakes happen; lines get crossed.

Also never fear being forward in establishing contact.

Talk to Me !

No comments: