Tuesday, May 17, 2011

How to Save Time with Hotkeys, Macros and Gestures

WinHotKey

Another great article from itbusiness.ca , but, of course, you are wondering whether you can trust the little application “ WinHotKey0.70.exe ”.

Well, I don’t know either, but I’ve stuck my neck out and installed it because I am always on the lookout for ways to remove the boring and repetitive tasks of my life.

It Works!

I currently have it assigned to opening common documents for me. The names of the documents may mean nothing to you, but the list should give you an idea that I am, as usual, following the 95/5 rule.

Visit www.ChrisGreaves.com for this image! WinHotKeys.png

On the left-hand side of my keyboard, the Windows, Ctrl and Shift keys sit together so they are easy for me to tap with fingers of my left hand. The index finger of my right hand stabs out the mnemonic letter of the document.

A Great Timesaver!

AutoHotkey

Thus emboldened I set off to explore AutoHotkey104805_Install.exe.

It’s early days yet, so I’ll probably issue a short Technical paper on this more complex application.

In the meantime I am pleased to report that the following little script works!

; Chris Greaves pasted then edited the following line:-

#space::Run www.ChrisGreaves.com

The Windows key and the Space bar launches Firefox 3.6.15 and opens up my home page.

Neat!

Talk to Me !

No comments: