Wednesday, March 17, 2010

You Can't Predict the Future?

You can, you know.

I'm not a gambling man, but I'd bet good cash that the sun will rise tomorrow morning, perhaps behind a cloud bank, but day light will come.

I bet the tide will come in and go out at least once in the next 24 hours (unless you are on the shores of the Mediterranean!).

I'm even prepared to bet that I'll wake up tomorrow morning; even at my age that's a safe bet.

I bet I won't get a check in the mail tomorrow morning.

I bet that I'll receive a phone call from someone I've never spoken to before.

I bet I'll get a new client sometime in the next 6 months.

All of these are predictions about the future, and they are all pretty sure bets.

There are some things I can't predict - my exact bank balance next June 28th (Unless today is the 27th).

I can't predict the name of the next stranger who phones me, nor the name of the person I'll sit next to at the next ½ day seminar.

I can predict that person will previously be unknown to me.

Don't be afraid to make predictions. There will be revolutionary new technology announced next week, next month, next year.

Get used to making predictions/bets on sure things.

And don't be afraid to gamble - a little.

No comments: