Saturday, March 20, 2010

Not-net-working

At the start of meetings, we go around the room, everyone delivers a 30-second elevator speech.

I find more and more that I avoid the ones who finish off with "So if you need this service, come and see me".

It is a crude filter, but there again, I'm not at the networking meeting to find an accountant or a landscape gardener. That's what the Yellow Pages are for.

I am at the meeting to meet people who are in contact with my target market.

My target market is the big banks, insurance, financial, life sciences companies.

So I keep my ears pricked wide open for those who talk about helping their huge clients.

They will be able to help me, and I will be able to help them.

We will be able to operate with each other, that is, to co-operate.

No comments: