Receipts, Invoices, Cheque stubs, Movie Tickets (what are THEY doing in here?!!).
I Love Looking At Invoices
I group them, monthly columns, clients in rows, to make a little table in a spreadsheet, totals everywhere, and the grand total for the 12 months.
Not as grand as last year.
This year I'm doing myself a favor, and printing out that summary, retiring to the couch with a large mug of cappuccino, and writing twenty words on each client.
The twenty words: How did I get this business this year?
- Referral from a colleague?
- Referral from another client?
- Advertisement on CraigsList?
- Direct mailing?
- Staying-in-touch by email?
For each client, no matter how small the job.
What follows seems obvious.
- "Thank You" card to the referees
- A determination to put more effort into whatever it was that drove the business my way over the past 12 months.
This isn't a lifetime commitment.
It's more about feeling good, thanking others, and taking a well-earned mid-morning break from taxes.