Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Coffee or Lunch?

I am often tackled about my tactics of picking up the phone and asking a President out to lunch.

“But you don’t even know the guy!”.

All the more reason to meet.

I don’t believe I’m that special. A little extraordinary, maybe, but think this through:

How often does a President get a straight-forward call "Let’s do lunch, just for the sake of meeting each other”.

I don’t know what your pain/problem is so I can’t be selling you a solution; it can’t be a sales call.

That’s not true; I AM selling something – the idea that we might meet for lunch and just chat. When the Pres says yes, I pump my fist in the air, occasionally dropping the mobile phone, and do a few spiral Trudeau-like pirouettes.

But why not ask someone out for coffee?

Answer: Meeting someone for coffee between 9am and noon, or between 2pm and 5pm represents a half-hour slice out of their busy working day.

But everyone takes an hour off in the middle of the day to go to lunch.

Lunch does not represent a drain on the working day schedule.

Coffee does.

Talk to Me !

No comments: