Friday, September 24, 2010

When Networks Pay Off

I’ve written previously about maintaining a group of about half-a-dozen like-minded entrepreneurs as a support group. Your buddies are probably NOT in the same business as you, but they probably ARE in the same mess as you – got-the-business-running-but-want-it-to-grow, or whatever best describes you.

This proved valuable this week.

I am promoting a new course. I plan to mail out two hundred flyers.

I compose and edit the draft, and wait for a promised testimonial, that has taken 3 months to arrive from one of my little group. When it did arrive it was well worth the wait.

I left a printed copy of the draft with a potential client, asking for “typos and, you know ...” to be corrected. She, bless her heart, put all of her sales and marketing skills behind it. Rewrote it, in fact, making my efforts look like vermicomposting fodder.

On Thursday morning at 6 a.m. with just under 3 weeks to the course date, I emailed another member of my support group to “Print 200 copies, double-sided, glossy. Delivery by Friday 5 p.m. if at all possible”.

The call came at 5 p.m. Thursday that the job was done and ready for pick-up.

Wow!

In less than 36 hours I went from shoddy-draft to professionally laid out and printed. And I am a day ahead of my slippery schedule.

There’s no doubt in my mind that a close-knit group of like-minded entrepreneurs looking after each other is worth its weight, as they say, in gold.

Talk to Me !

No comments: