Tuesday, September 14, 2010

My Goal In The Kitchen

Do NOT let this business of Goals and Objectives rattle you.

I grew up in Southern Cross , population 1,500 partway between Perth and Kalgoorlie. Hardly a day went by without some traveler dropping in, unannounced, for lunch, to break the nine-hour car trip. My mother’s record was twenty-one unannounced visitors in one day, and my thighs grew strong bicycling up-and down to buy another sandwich loaf, more sausages, another Swiss roll.

Visit www.ChrisGreaves.com for this image!  MyGoalInTheKitchen_HPIM2866.JPG

My other job, once total strangers had wolfed down MY lunch and departed, burping along the straight-and-narrow highway out of town, was to wash the dishes. The scene was not unlike the one shown above: too many dishes in too small a space, and yes, we had no dishwasher. This was 1956, remember.

My loving mother would suggest that perhaps I should wash and dry (and put-away) just the glasses and cups, and if space permitted, a few of the side-plates. The “clean” stuff.

This sounded a lot easier than doing everything down to the frying-pan with its congealed beef-dripping used to fry eggs.

So that’s what I did.

But being a proud eleven-year-old, I made an effort to show what a man I was by doing ALL the side plates and ALL the dinner plates. I also did the cutlery because that could be stood on end in a tub alongside the dish-drainer.

Of course by the time that was done, I was on a roll, and determined to do a second-load, right down to the frying-pan with its congealed beef-dripping used to fry eggs.

Visit www.ChrisGreaves.com for this image!  MyGoalInTheKitchen_HPIM2867.JPG

My mother was not only good-looking, she was smart! (And yes, she loved me)

You can see above the result of breaking a goal (“wash the dishes”) into two objectives (“steps” if you like).

Objective 1: Wash and rinse then put-away the easy stuff.

Objective 2: Wash and rinse then put-away the hard stuff.

I have almost completed Objective 1, and can now embark on the very small task known as Objective 2 and be done well before lunch time.

AND I still can slot in planting a few maple keys, checking on my neighbor’s cat, and so on.

Life is easy when we break goals down into objectives, and better yet, The Job Gets Done!

Talk to Me !

No comments: