Friday, September 3, 2010

My Goal Today Is (Follow-up)

Just for Today

At the end of the day, when I start the daily backup procedures, I’ll take down the sheet of paper and examine myself. What went wrong? Let’s not do that again. What went right? Let’s keep on doing that!

Visit www.ChrisGreaves.com for this image!  MyGoalTodayIs_HPIM2775.JPG

Here you can see what I see at the end of the day.

I reduced 25 outstanding entries to 16, a reduction of 9, not 20 as planned.

What went wrong?

Well my billing system tells me I spent only 3.45 hours on this between 8:00 and 16:00.

I spent 9:30-11:30 with David Sappleton, a pre-arranged meeting.

I spent half-an-hour on the phone congratulating Cathy Nesbitt.

I spent valuable phone time assembling notes for each call – I KNOW that I should be doing that out-of-hours.

On the other hand one of my calls bore fruit: I have an appointment next Tuesday for lunch with an “Executive Vice President Corporate Development”, which is good.

And How is Your Prospecting Coming Along?

Even though one appointment for 3.45 hours work doesn’t sound like much, I still think that if I make one new face-to-face contact per week, that’s 50 contacts per year, and that’s probably more than I can cope with.

It is one more appointment than I’ve made in the previous week, that’s for sure, and I did this with just one day’s effort. Not even!

Meanwhile Back At the Ranch ...

The next day my stated goal was to whittle 16 down to 5; that seemed a reasonable goal in the light of my experience.

I decided to work in two-hour bursts 6a-8a, 9a-11a, and 1p-3p.

To my surprise I was all done by 11:15 a.m.

I have moved a three-week backlog of work in under two days!

Of the original set of contacts, one turned out to be a slugfest between a company in Texas and its former CEO. Apart from the fact that I’m not a referee, My goals do not include active participation in Texas firms, so that was an easy document to jettison.

Talk to Me !

No comments: