Friday, June 25, 2010

Unwanted Attention from LinkedIn

Another invitation to join someone’s group.

I investigate and find that the correspondent has four contacts, that’s all. Also I have no knowledge of the name.

I search my contacts database by first name and last name. Nothing turns up.

Who is this person?

There is a chance that we met briefly at a trade show or a networking meeting, but if so, we have had no contact since then. Not an email, not a phone call. Nothing.

The person is in effect a total stranger to me.

I decline the invitation.

I learn the same day from a colleague of an invitation whose message content read I think “Don’t say you don’t know me”.

CLICK!

I don’t see LinkedIn as a way to make relationships.

I see LinkedIn as a way to be in touch with people with whom I already have a relationship.

LinkedIn isn’t a replacement for meeting people, or for getting to know them. That will always be done in person or by phone or by email; a combination of the three will cement the relationship.

But a random polling for interest?

Never!

Talk to Me !

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Now Keith I’ve met several times, chatted on the phone etc.:

“I didn't realize that you were a member of LinkedIn. I'd like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn.“

CLICK! Instant Acceptance.

No comments: