Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Goofing Off

At 1:37 p.m. my phone rang. A colleague was five minutes drive away and was going to visit the European Deli. Would I like to tag along?

Yes I would.

What/where is the European Deli?

I had no idea, but on the spur of the moment I downed tools, put on some decent clothes, and headed out the door.

Two hours later I was back.

Two hours of wasted time, never to be recovered.

You think?

I could beat myself about two hours not-spent-on-the-phone, or two hours not-spent-updating-my-utility or whatever.

Instead I dressed up (a bit), got some fresh air in my lungs, spent 2 hours laughing and chatting, brought home some ground beef at a good price, and then got back to work.

In retrospect, I often feel scared when going to a new place; perhaps my colleague wanted some “hand-holding”, and perhaps that was the purpose of the call.

I’ll never know.

But it felt good.

No comments: