Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Meeting – Drinkies

After thirty minutes, Rob asked Michael if he, Michael, wanted something to drink, and as an afterthought, asked me too if I’d like a drink.

Now I’d had a medium coffee across the street, having arrived early, so I declined a drink at this stage; as well I had a second meeting in a Starbucks café in an hour’s time, so I didn’t want to be coffee’d out.

But it struck me that the drinks should be offered before people sit down.

It is a social lubricant, also a courtesy.

Who was it said that any successful date had to have at least two of three components – food, entertainment and sex?

It seems to me that as host, offering your business guest a drink is the first step in establishing rapport.

And no, it doesn’t have to be a cappuccino or a latte.

A (sealed) bottle of water is adequate.

No comments: