Monday, June 21, 2010

Embrace the Most Argumentative Colleague

Of all the people I meet with, he is by far the most argumentative. It doesn’t matter than 95% of the time he is wrong.

Sometimes I think he argues just for the sake of arguing.

(A bit like someone else I know!).

I come up with an idea for business, and he is the first one of the group to comment, and usually with a negative reaction, rather than a positive and supportive comment.

But the more I think about it, the more I see that I should welcome this.

I could surround myself with fawning yes-men who stroke me at every opportunity.

But then how would I ever see through the pink clouds and discern the storm clouds on the horizon?

Better, during the wave-hands-in-the-air preliminary idea phase get a rock-solid barrier and prove that I can surmount it then, rather than wait until I have invested days of work setting the thing up, only to discover I’d not thought of everything.

Yes.

Better to embrace this source of negativity; if nothing else it is an early acceptance-test for my ideas.

And it is free.

Talk to Me !

No comments: