Thursday, April 1, 2010

I Don't Want to Know About You

I attended an afternoon networking event today, 90 attendees.

I managed to speak with seven of them.

Two of them (first time we met!) informed me about their divorce, and their recent bankruptcy.

One told me about the roof of his convertible being ripped open and his briefcase and laptop stolen.

I'm sorry, but I don't want to know that right now and I don't need to know that right now.

The First Meeting is Too Soon to Learn that You Just Got Divorced

In this blog I can acknowledge that I will feel your pain once we get to know one another, but at a business networking event, the first order of business is BUSINESS.

Tell me about your business dreams, your business problems, not your ex-husband.

Your business problem is not "My wife just took off and cleaned out our bank account".

Your business problem is "Cash flow".

Same impact, and it's going to be the same solution, but without the blood and gore stinking up the place.

No comments: