Thursday, April 22, 2010

Does this Job Interest You?

No, not the job itself.

It's all about staying-in-touch, "identifying" with your peers, and so on.

I'm always on the lookout for that little something - call it a stocking-stuffer - that I can use to touch my contacts.

Once you get into it, they pop up everywhere, articles in online newspaper stories, opportunities for business or pilot studies, jobs ...

A common incoming email, for me, is a job, forwarded by email from a colleague.

The job doesn't fit, because it states explicit requirements for a skill I don't have, and which is an essential requirement for the position.

But who do I know who is in transition, looking for work, contemplating freelance work?

I can send the email, personally address (so it's four emails leaving my desk, not one email with four BCCs), and presto! Four contacts have been touched today.

That was easy.

No comments: