Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Look Again!

My theory is that I should be able to run some of these articles, or other essays, in a local newspaper.
So having picked up a copy of the Mississauga News, I flipped through it and to my dismay found that they already had THREE columnists.
There is no way that I can displace a stable of three experienced columnists, so I re-folded the newspaper and (I am ashamed to report) have been using it as a mat for my coffee pot for a week. A Second Use For Everything.
This morning I picked it up and for reasons unknown to me (but I pass this on to you and suggest you make it a part of your conscious behavior), I skimmed through it again.
My eye was caught by the words "SPECIAL SECTION" on the top corner of about two-thirds of the paper.
That's right! Those three "columnists" represented only three one-off articles.
Next week's paper probably won't have a SPECIAL SECTION, so the market may well be wide open for me.
I'll phone as soon as I've finished typing this up.
I am reminded of Winston Churchill's "never" admonition:
· "Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense".
Funnily enough, it's what one of my mentors says, too (Cheryl Scoffield of Executive Sales Support).
But see also "Who Ya Gonna Call?".

No comments: