Friday, October 16, 2009

Did You Just Lose Me?

Was it you who sent me an email a day or two after the networking meeting/seminar?
I know that I exchanged cards with the guy sitting to my left after chatting with him for five minutes. I gave him my card and he gave me his.
I noticed that he wasn't taking notes, so I emailed him a copy of my notes (After the Networking Meeting) and he was kind enough to reply by email and thank me. He is, to me, a valuable contact into a major bank.
Two other people asked me for a card. We didn't exchange names. You might have been one of them.
If you were you sent me an email with a one-page PDF brochure telling me what you do and suggesting I purchase your services.
But I don't know you.
So I deleted the email.
Sorry.
No I'm not.
I'm trying to eliminate from my current contact list all those businesses to whom I send a Christmas card but who never call me. I know to be patient, but seven years?
My new contact list is based solely on people, not businesses, with whom I have engaged in a real conversation – not a soulless cold-call. I've met them at meetings and chatted for five or ten. They call me occasionally, or respond thankfully when I send them an email.
We stay in touch.
But I'm through trying to bond with a PDF file.

No comments: