Thursday, January 21, 2010

The $100 Job is Not Revenue

Another small technical job, one at which I am experienced. (Installing a simple comprehensive backup system for solo entrepreneurs).

My colleague arrives with a $100 cheque, for which I am grateful.

I call it "Grocery Money", and it varies, but typically is around one hundred dollars.

In this case it pays for my expertise, and my ability to spend several chunks of 15 minutes each at each stage of the process, sometimes staying up an extra hour while a long-running task completes so that I can start the next long-running task to run overnight.

It feels good too to see my fellow entrepreneurs grow in wisdom, and it fees good when they tell others that I'm good at what I do.

But it's not revenue.

At best it is the icing on the cake of networking with my peers.

No comments: