Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Rethinking My Voice-Mail Approach

I am rethinking my approach to voice-mail.

I dial the direct line to a new prospect. If we haven’t ever spoken before, I’ll not leave a voice-mail. My tactic is to establish direct contact with a 60-second call, and then build up on that. But there is no way I’m going to leave an unsolicited voice-mail with someone who doesn’t know my name.

I just tried to reach Kelly. My notes tell me that we spoke before, and that I sent an email.

A month later I am calling back to ask her out to lunch.

But I get her voice-mail and decide to hang up, because I’ve not mentioned lunch before.

Why am I hanging up?

If my purpose is to establish and build a get-to-know-you relationship, what’s the harm of leaving a voice-mail that says “I was phoning to ask you out to lunch”?

I want to meet her for lunch; that is My Want.

That’s the purpose of my call.

If she doesn’t return my call, that’s OK too. Maybe she doesn’t want to lunch with me (although I can’t imagine why).

Fast-forward a month; I call her again, and again get voice-mail. This time maybe I’ll remind her that I’d like to do lunch, and wish her a Merry Christmas.

I can’t see what’s bad about that. It is surely better than studying the database record and dialing a number and then hanging up.

Where’s the advantage in that?

And more to the point: How is that keeping in touch with my prospects?

Talk to Me !

No comments: