Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Meeting – Same Height

We entered the host’s office and Robert gestured to the other office chair. I spotted the couch and elected to sit on it.

This set me at a lower height from Robert, who maintained his desire to sit on his office chair.

Now I am a good twelve inches lower than Robert, which means he is in the superior or dominating position (which may explain his monologue), while I am in the submissive or inferior position.

My role is to listen.

I think that Robert’s initial gesture to the other chair was correct; he was correct in his aim to set us at the same physical level.

But when his gesture failed and I opted for the couch, his best tactic was to sit alongside me on the couch.

That is the body language which says “I am prepared to meet you”.

No comments: