Saturday, February 27, 2010

Why Reacting to the Market Might Be Good

An article in the Telegraph "Why cowboy Clint Eastwood always won his shoot-outs" runs counter to some of the marketing advice I have read.

(But it does corroborate my reasoning in Clear Thinking ), so I'm happy.

If I understand the Telegraph article correctly, it tells me that I should wait until the other guy (The Prospect) telegraphs (sorry!) his intention by consciously drawing his gun; my built-in reaction to that act will be much faster.

It this true when I am face-to-face with a prospect?

Absolutely!

When the prospect ambushes me with a problem, often enough I respond automatically with "Yes", or "I can do that!", when I have not really had time to analyze the request in any detail, and when terms like "TSX-V", "Working Capital" and "Market Cap" are being bandied about. Huh?

My reaction often enough comes as a surprise to the prospect who, rocking back on his heels, needs time to recover, and during that (literally) split-second, my mind has come up with a couple of good points that help me to start a conversation. After that, the hook is in.

Can this be truly how it works?

I guess so

Prospects don't usually ask us about a specific problem unless they have already established a position where they suspect that we might be able to do business.

If I stop a suit on the street and say "I can help you", I'll be dismissed as a panhandler, but by the time I've said "Hello" at a networking event and exchanged pleasantries, the suit will have formed an opinion of me.

React!

Most times it's the best tactic.

No comments: