Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year's Resolutions

This time of year I get asked if I've made any New Year's Resolutions.

I answer no.

I figure that the word “resolution” means a “re-solution”, another look at the solution. That means I already know the solution, but I haven't implemented it.

November is a good time to say "My New Year's Resolution is to eat more fruit (bran, greens, etc,)"; or exercise each day.

Or whatever.

But if eating fruit is going to be good for me next January, why wouldn't it be good for me this November? Likewise a 30-minute walk three times a week? Or quitting smoking? Or talking with new entrepreneurs? Or getting out to more networking meetings?

Or listening to my mentor.

If today I know the solution, today is probably a good time to start putting it into effect. It's not too late in the day to start changing a habit.

A resolution is a convenient way of putting off the action until tomorrow; that's procrastination.

My peers tell me that that's deadly.

What were your New Year's Resolutions, and would your life have been better if you'd implemented them last November?

Talk to Me !

No comments: