Thursday, December 3, 2009

Why Are You Struggling With Your Elevator Speech

I am indebted to Michelle Romanica for this flash of insight.

We were discussing Elevator Speeches when it dawned on me that I'd had about 20 of them in use over the past 20 years.

  • People and Computers
  • Changing the Way People Think
  • Inspiring People to Perform At Their Best
  • Applications that Work Right the First Time, On Time, Every Time.
  • If I Can't Save Your Company the Cost of My Consultation on My First Visit, the Consultation is Free.
  • Packaged Solutions
  • Reliable, Sustainable Applications for You
  • Better Documents Faster
  • If You Have Enough Experience, You Don't Need Me; If You Don't, YOU DO!
  • Learn, to Earn, And Learn to Earn
  • If You're Having a Problem, That's MY Problem

My latest is roughly:

  • I Squeeze Dollars Out of Your Existing Assets and Resources By the Application of Training and Programs

I said Rough; it needs work.

And that’s the point.

I have changed over the past 20 years.

  • As has the market.
  • As has my target market.
  • As have my skills.

As soon as I perfect a speech, it steps aside for the next wave.

So What?



I used to think that the Elevator Speech was supposed to get me a job, or at least a contract.

Not so.

The Elevator Speech’s sole purpose is to get the other person interested enough to ask you a question.

Providing that the response isn’t ‘That’s nonsense’, almost any response is good:

  • What do you mean by that?
  • How do you do that?
  • How would that affect me?
  • What kind of Assets?
  • What kind of Resources?
  • What kind of Training?
  • What kind of Programs?

At a networking meeting, if I do it right, I will engage another person in dialogue for five minutes, ten tops, collect a card, and a few days later come up with a good reason why we should do coffee.

And if that goes well, coffee a few weeks later.

Maybe after that, an idea for co-operative business, or a good lead or referral.

Or a chance for me to offer a small freebie to strengthen the relationship.

But no job.



Not directly from the elevator speech.

Some of my best jobs have come long after the initial Elevator Speech has ridden off into the sunset.

Thanks Michelle.

No comments: