Friday, August 6, 2010

For the Non-Golfers Amongst Us

I played golf once in my life. I was one of the mandatory duffers in a Friday afternoon social game with Murray Bulger and Associates back around 1986. That was enough.

Nonetheless This New York Times Article caught my eye.

This first group is self-evident.

1. Be on time.

2. Be quiet, be quick.

3. Know when to speak up and what to say.

6. Help others look for lost balls.

8. Maintain a good attitude regardless of how you’re playing.

9. Avoid giving unsolicited advice.

10. Be generous, be honest, be nice.

I couldn’t recommend “4. Mind the flagstick. “ as is; it’d have to be “Make a fresh pot of coffee” in my business.

“5. Watch the flight of everyone’s shots. “ would have to become “Stay in touch with the pace of other parts of the project”.

“7. Don’t make everyone look for your ball for 10 minutes” is a little trickier. I think it’d have to be something along the lines of “If you can’t come up with a coherent reason not to do it within 60 seconds, you just don’t know enough to object to the idea”!

Talk to Me !

No comments: