Friday, October 7, 2011

Joe Who?

I’m inclined to discount the effort by restaurant management to make my dining experience more enjoyable by their insistence that the waiter introduce himself as “Joe”.

While I hope that he and I get along, there is an obvious conflict (or “disparity” if you will) that cannot be overcome when I’m ordering lunch at the Glen Iris Inn in Letchworth State Park .

I’m here for lunch; it’s a one-time deal, and if I ever do come back, chances are Joe will be long gone.

Joe, however, is here for a while, until he gets a better job.

In that sense, I am transient and Joe is permanent.

In my local diner ( The Montreal Deli ), the waitresses come and go on cycles varying from 2 years to 20 years. By comparison, I’m a permanent fixture at The Deli.

At The Deli we see each other at least once a week, so Joan, Eileen, Polly, Georgia and the rest of the ladies know and greet me by name, and I them.

We have a relationship that is not entirely business-like.

By contrast at the Glen Iris Inn, I’ll remain a total stranger to Joe throughout the meal, and long after I’ve started the car up the driveway out of the "Grand Canyon of the East".

“I’m Joe” works for me on my 3rd or 4th visit.

Anytime before than and it’s a lie.

And I hate it when businesses lie to me.

Talk to Me !

No comments: