Monday, June 29, 2009

Management Measures

I was brought up on this in my second job.
Quantify!
There are four basic quantifiers, we were taught: numeric, date/time, Boolean and geographic.
As much as possible my writing, and especially my proposals, bear all of these four quantifiers peppered throughout the document.
A classic ending is “Cost $500.00 plus applicable taxes. Chris Greaves can begin the study on receipt of a 50% deposit at 4340 Bloor Street West; Suite 401; Toronto; Ontario; CANADA M9C 2A6 by 5:00 p.m. Monday, 19 October 2009”.
Today I hit on a new quantifier: COLOR!
I have a modest proposal to put before the networking group at our meeting tonight.
I’ve printed it off an a sheet of blue paper.
I figure if the executive are showing interest in it (for example, reading it during the speaker’s presentation), it will be easy to spot.
I may even be able to record who has read it by the end of the evening.

No comments: